San Antonio, TX
When you’re lucky enough to be exposed to a new culture with one of your good friends as a card carrying member, you get to breeze by all the touristy stuff and get a back stage pass to what real people do for a good time.
And what you do in San Antonio, is you eat
Oh come on, Texas sushi!? That’s just silly…
Hope you saved room for desert…
But don’t think they’re unhealthy about it
And we notice that we didn’t even get a picture of the Taco Cabana, which is Michael’s go-to eating establishment.
It really is staggeringly amazing that Michael and his then bride-to-be were both so thin. The one thing we can all be sure of that’s bigger in Texas is peoples’ metabolism…
All joking aside the food was not only immense it was also ridiculously good. Strange though it may seem, several people have actually approached us for recommendations on taking a culinary tour of the States in order to sample what is arguably called “American Cuisine.” After some time in San Antonio we would assure you that America does in fact have its own cuisine and that it is most definitely regional. We can think of six right off the bat:
- New England (that’d be Boston),
- Southern (gonna go with Atlanta here),
- Cajun (New Orleans, pretty obvious),
- West Coast (San Francisco, no contest),
- Pacific North West (Portland, OR)
- Tex-Mex – which San Antonio is now, in our minds at least, the flagship city for. If you are in any way a foodie and this town does not feature prominently on your itinerary, then you are missing something pretty darn special about the good old US of A.
Local food is always an interesting adventure. While just as good, San Antonio’s Tex-Mex was a long way from the French influenced island food of Tahiti.
Greg and Tiffany are traveling around the world on sailing yachts and keep a video blog of their (mis)adventures. If sailing to Tahiti on a 44 ft sailboat, 3-day delays for wine tastings, getting pooped on by seagulls, opening coconuts with dull machetes, sailing past tornadoes and ukulele Christmas carols are for you, then check them out at www.CoastGuardCouple.com!